22 May 2013

Checking things off

Presenting the results of the completion (ish) of my D.C. bucket list!

We have...

The National Zoo




The National Arboretum (I have an unusual affection for trees)


It would appear that columns are grown, not built

A repeat of an old favorite, the Air and Space Museum on the Mall


Annapolis, home of the US Naval Academy, on a very cool and somewhat rainy day


Featured but not pictured:

The National Museum of the Marine Corps
      - volunteering there was a veteran of the battle of Iwo Jima.  We chatted, and I learned he taught music at Stanford University for years.  "Go to the museum website  and look up my name," he told visitors, "Frank Matthews - they have a lot of old pictures of me in the war and my story.  I don't like to look at all those pictures.  It's depressing - I was so much better looking back then."

Not checked off the list:
Monticello
A return to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum

What remains most important to me, though, is not the places that I visited, but the fact that I got to see them (most of them) with my parents.  After having spent a year in another country, getting ready to move 800 miles away, not knowing in which direction the next few years will take me - it was really lovely to spend time with my parents, enjoying our shared interests together (nature, history, being nerdy, etc).  I think we're all pretty confident it's time for me to move out, though!

Now there is a new list - Things I Must Do Today Before I Leave Tomorrow.

No comments: